I'm trying to keep my business, my triplets, and my waistline under control. I excel at one of those, fail at another one of those, and one is a work in progress. Which is which is day dependant.

Monday, July 9, 2007

A Promise Kept

Being as goal oriented as I am, I am always looking for new and better ways to achieve stuff, to push my own boundaries and go beyond my own comfort levels. At my 30th birthday party I had everyone fill out an index card (or several) with goals for me to achieve by my 40th birthday. Some of them are insane (wear high heels for an entire month) and some are terrifying (do a stand-up routine at a open mic night), some are reasonable (ride the Great Victorian Bike Ride) while some are hilarious (go totally blond). All of them were pretty amusing, and many were food for thought. Interestingly, many of the goals repeated - meaning that random people around the room said the same thing. None of them consulted with one another until after the task was done, so the repeats were the ones which really made me think. If I get around to it, I'll post the entire list and then virtually 'cross off' the ones I finish. Anyway the biggest repeater was "get published" - with variations about writing books for children, writing cookbooks, writing a weekly column for the newspaper, and so on. The gist of it was to find a forum for my writing. I achieved that goal in part by starting this blog - technically it was original, "published" material in a public forum. This week, I learned that I achieved the second part of this goal - I became a paid published writer.

Read all about it here.

2 comments:

a happier girl said...

What a great thing to have everyone do at a birthday party! So clever. You should totally put the list on your blog and try to do them all. Within reason anyway! That high heels thing sounds sorta painful.

VogonPoet said...

We're glad to have you as a part of the Candy Addict team! :)

Brian