I'm trying to keep my business, my triplets, and my waistline under control. I excel at one of those, fail at another one of those, and one is a work in progress. Which is which is day dependant.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

HPG & Me

My niece, HPG (stands for Harry Potter Girl, as yes, she is obsessed) and I get along really well. Her Mom (my snester) often says that she feels as though she is raising me all over again - which is pretty accurate, since my snester is seven years older than I am and was at least partially responsible for my influencing my formative years. So HPG and I have a lot in common - namely that we like to read, and cook, and laugh, and are considered mature beyond our years but often lack street sense, and people treat us like adults even though we find totally immature things funny. Given that there is a pretty big age gap between HPG and I (about 17 years, which I just realised is only one year more than there is between DH and I...scary!) it's amazing we get along as well as we do. While she was here, I tried to come up with a reason for why this is.

The only reason (other than her being cool and fab and just plain awesome) is that in many ways, I'm still a teenager. I don't think I've ever made it past that stage. I definetly still have the pimples to prove it (and geez, didn't someone promise me these would disappear with the onset of adulthood?! Fuckin' liars.) I have a disdain for authority. I have crushes on people. I read trashy magazines about celebrities (granted I did graduate from Teen Beat to People.) I worry about my grades. I worry about my future. I sometimes act sullen for no reason. I'm impatient, especially with my parents and siblings. I'm moody. I naively believe that everything will turn out all right in the end and that people are basically honest. I have bad hair days. I want a snack after school/work. I am often filled with angst. I always want just five more minutes in bed. I think ugly shoes are really cool. I care about the environment and other social issues. I write a journal (no longer a pink notebook but now a blog.)

HPG and me, we're not all that different. For her sake, though, I hope she grows out of the stupid stuff of teenager-hood, and keeps the better parts - parts like finding totally dumb jokes really funny.

Jokes, in fact, like the one she told me recently:

Two muffins are baking in an oven.
One muffin turns to the other and says, "Geez, it's getting hot in here!"
The other muffin screams, 'ACK! A talking muffin!"

*snort* See? A damn funny joke.

Love ya, HPG.

No comments: